Sunday, September 9, 2007

Finally...


Here you have it: Kimono Pillow #1. Thanks to the great folks at Kyoto Kimono, who recycle damaged kimonos into fabric scraps for crafters. I think the grey striped piece is most of a sleeve. What's really amazing is that the few pieces that are still sewn - everything is done by hand. This is very slippery fabric, so I am very impressed. Kimono Pillow #2 is ready to be stitched, but I just didn't feel like getting out the iron today. I'm also learning that making these to fit a pre-formed pillow would be a really good idea. Stuffing this sucker was zero fun. It also takes a lot more stuffing than you might think. I'm envisioning some yo-yo embellished pillows in the near future. You might recall the original kimono yo-yo experiment. Some progress has been made since those first attempts.

In other news, our pastor cited a Jump, Little Children song during her sermon today. Cathedrals, to be specific. Our little section of the church had a momentary fit, since we're all about the same age. Lindsey & I had the privilege of accompanying Torrence (soon-to-be-Dr. Welch) to their farewell tour show here in Atlanta at the Variety two years ago. It brought back good memories - back when Napster wouldn't get you thrown in jail, sophomore year, writing papers WAY too late in the dorm... (It was a good sermon, too, dwelling on showing the love of the church to others, rather than scaring or goading them into/toward salvation. It's why I'm Methodist, these days.) Did I mention they have a CELLO in the band???? Sigh....

1 comment:

Lennye said...

How do I get to the vintage children's book swap? Also, I must look up group pastor mentioned.